May 2013 Meeting Minutes
Minutes of the Meeting of Shenandoah Valley Gem and Mineral Society
May 13th, 2013
The meeting was called to order by Club President, Dean Hostetter.
Seventeen members were present.
- Scheduled workshop cleanup day was attended by three people who had fun working on rocks. I guess we will have to reschedule this event at a later date.
- Upcoming field trip to the National Limestone Quarry, Middleburg, PA, is planned for Saturday 1 June. Update: Seven people attended and we had a great time collecting. Come to the June meeting to see how successful we were.
- The Weather Channel has a new program “Prospectors” every Tuesday night at 9 PM. The emphasis is on weather but the theme is mining/collecting minerals.
- We discussed various options for new club speakers. Dean is still trying to get the JMU geologist to talk about space rocks, etc. Lee and Wendy Duke volunteered to present a program on volcanoes based on their experiences in Hawaii. Also, Lee Duke will check on the availability of visiting the Washington and Lee Geology Department.
- Jack Glenn has put the final touches on the club’s web site – LOOKS GOOD.
- We spent considerable time discussing options and suggestions for improving the Club’s annual show. Ideas:
- Big display on the web page.
- Possibly use Facebook.
- Newspapers are too expensive with limited potential for increased attendance .
- Use more metal show signs along the road.
- Check with dealers to see how they advertise.
- Advertise in Rock and Gem Magazine
- Come up with some ideas for activities: Pan for gold, display rocks for kids, quiz on rock identification, display something unique like a dinosaur bone/egg, slide show, etc.
- More discussion included: moving the show to Expo Land or possibly changing the date; raising attendance fee, etc.
- The show for 2013 is scheduled for October 5th and 6th, Kate Collins Middle School, Waynesboro, VA.
❖ ❖ ❖
June meeting: Monday, June 10th at 7:30 PM
Waynesboro Church of the Brethren
364 Bridge Road
Lower parking lot—Side Door entrance!
PROGRAM: SUISEKI or Rock Appreciation by Leo Cloutier
Bob Helt, Secretary
❖ ❖ ❖
Club Officers and Staff 2013
President – Dean Hostetter
Vice President – Leo Cloutier
Show Co-Chairs – Dean Hostetter and all Club members
Educational Outreach -- Linda Corwin, Bob Helt
Secretary/Newsletter -- Bob Helt (email@example.com)
Field Trip Coordinator - Dean Hostetter (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Treasurer – Scott Gregory
Web Site Coordinator – Jack Glenn
Club web site: shenandoahvalleyrockclub.org
Club email: email@example.com