March 2013 Meeting Minutes
Minutes of the Meeting of Shenandoah Valley Gem and Mineral Society
March 11th, 2013
* The meeting was called to order by Club President, Dean Hostetter. Twenty five members and guests attended.
* February minutes approved.
* Treasurer's report will be next month.
* Sign up sheet for use of the Club’s workshop will be implemented. Tentative date is 3rd Saturday of each month.
* Changing the time of the meeting to 7 PM was tabled for members to consider at a later date.
* Jack Glenn has extensively expanded the Club’s web site. Although he is still fine-tuning, it should be ready for use.
* Dean Hostetter has made contact with the JMU Director of the Planetarium who has agreed to present a talk at a future Club meeting.
Vulcan Quarry, Manassas, VA; 23 March
Faber Lead Mine, Albemarle County, VA; 23 March
Special hike to manganese related ores; 6 April
❖ ❖ ❖
PROGRAM Topic: “Faceting, everything you wanted to know” presented by Kelly Lane. Kelly started with an old Mark One used machine. He wasn’t sure how difficult it would be to facet but soon learned through trial and lots of error. He overcame many problems to obtain the correct facet angle using a variety of stones, real and synthetic. The first stone he cut he had estimated it would take 5 hours, it took 20. Today Kelly has honed his skill and has made numerous beautiful gems for sale and personal use such as pendents for his wife Alice. Some lessons learned include:
- Be careful as stress fractures may occur.
- Be careful not to over-cut the adjoining facet.
- Need lots to light to see your work
- 29-30 degrees will give you the most luster
- A lot of it is just learning the touch.
- HAVE FUN
Refreshments provided by: Dean Hostetter
❖ ❖ ❖
April meeting: Monday, April 8th at 7:30 PM
Waynesboro Church of the Brethren
364 Bridge Road
Lower parking lot—Side Door entrance!
PROGRAM: “Show and Tell” Meeting. Bring something to share with Club members. This is your opportunity to highlight something you made, purchased, found, or otherwise obtained. Maybe just a good rock story; for example “the one that got away”.
Bob Helt, Secretary
❖ ❖ ❖
Club Officers and Staff 2013
President – Dean Hostetter
Vice President – Leo Cloutier
Show Co-Chairs – Dean Hostetter and all Club members
Educational Outreach -- Linda Corwin, Bob Helt
Secretary/Newsletter -- Bob Helt (email@example.com)
Field Trip Coordinator - Dean Hostetter (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Treasurer – Scott Gregory
Web Site Coordinator – Jack Glenn
Club web site: shenandoahvalleyrockclub.org
Club email: email@example.com