Past Field Trip Details - Vulcan Materials Quarry
Official Field Trip Notice of the Shenandoah Valley Gem and Mineral Society
SVGMS Members - Hey, trip for you! By special invitation of the No VA Mineral Club
Important safety requirements for all SVGMS trip participants!
I will require the same safety rules as our recent Willis Mountain trip.
- Wheel chocks - 2 per vehicle [Available at Walmart and Lowes as well as many other fine retail establishments]
- Hard hats [Must be less than 5 years old - see date stamped inside hat or here for additional information]
- Safety glasses
- Rugged foot wear [Steel-toed preferred]
- See also requirements/recommendations from NoVA field trip co-ordinator below
Respond to this notice by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org to be put on the list if you didn't sign up at the meeting.
Let me know by October 31, 2013.
P.S. I will lead a group from the Park and Ride in Waynesboro or be at the mine office at 7:00 AM on 11/02/2013 - directions below
Also, see how many weird (made up) minerals Ted added to the mineral list. Funny!
Field Trip Coordinator
Northern Virginia Mineral Club
Official Collecting Trip Announcement
Vulcan Manassas Aggregate Quarry, Manassas, VA
November 2nd, 2013, 7:00 am to Noonish*
Here is your basic bonafide trip announcement from your esteemed trip coordinator. At 7:00 am sharp(ish) on November 2nd, 2013 (meeting at the Mine Office) we, the scads of hordes, will meet in the mine office parking lot.
For those of you unfamiliar with said quarry it is a great big empty. Half a mile across, 550 feet deep and essentially right next to the Manassas mall. Were you to stand NBA players on each others’ shoulders, one atop another, it would still take most of the league to reach the top from the bottom [Approximately 84, given an average height of 6’6” - Web Wrangler]. Gravity would have foiled your attempt long before you succeeded anyway, likely creating a terrific mess, so, let's not, OK?
No Baskettball Player Stacking Trip Announcement
Big Time Minerals Available (at Vulcan):
Actinolite, var: Byssolite, Aegirine, 'Apatite', 'Apophyllite', Aragonite, Babingtonite, Biotite, Bornite, Boundlessite, Calcite, 'Chabazite', Chalcopyrite, Clinozoisite, Colossalite, Cristobalite, Datolite, Enormousite, 'Feldspar Group', Galena, Giganticite, Greenockite, Grossular, Hematite, var: Specularite, 'Heulandite', Hugeite, Ilmenite, Immenseite, Laumontite, Malachite, Massiveite, Muscovite, Natrolite, Opal, Orthoclase, Pectolite, Prehnite, Prodigiousite, 'Pumpellyite', Quartz, Rutile, Rootbeerite, Scheelite, Scolecite, Silver, Sphalerite, 'Stilbite', Stupendousite, Thaumasite, Titanite, Topaz, 'Tourmaline', Tremendousite, Unboundedite, Zircon.
Who is Invited:
- Any and all members in good standing of any eastern federation affiliated club.
- Roanoke Club members also welcome.
- All humans under the age of 18 must be accompanied by a responsible adult.
- Non-human higher primates also welcome. (If they can dance.)
- If you are not a member you may go to our website, www.novamineralclub.org, print off the membership form, fill it out and show up at the trip meeting with that and the appropriate of membership dues. You'll be good to go.
- Be reminded that the trip coordinator is generally due the deference normally accorded to the Sheik of Arabique. (Leon Redbone, circa 1979)
Directions (to Vulcan):
From Interstate 66 & Virginia 234 (bypass, not business. The bypass is 3 to 4 miles west of the business exits.)
1. Head west on Exit 44 0.9 mile
2. Merge onto Prince William Pkwy/VA-234 S 2.7 miles
3. Turn left at Wellington Road 0.5 mile
4. Turn left at Vulcan Lane
The destination will be on the right 0.1 mile
8537 Vulcan Lane, Manassas, VA 20109
What to Bring:
- Steel-toed Boots - a must. Toes are odd appendages but most of us are attached to them.
- Safety Helmet - also a must. If you have nothing worth protecting in your head get a cheap one.
- Safety Goggles - also a must, too. Blindness is a major drawback to collecting.
- Heavy Work Gloves - also a must, too, as well. Like our toes, most of us have a fondness for our fingers.
- Other Handy Objects - non-must-ish, but a good idea. Rock Chisels, Small Sledge Hammers, Large Sledge Hammers, “Grond”, the hammer of the gods, Geologists Picks, NFL Picks, Guitar Picks, Heavy Plastic Containers (for large specimens), Egg Cartons (for small specimens), First Aid Kits, Snacks, Water, Plastic Sheeting (to protect the interior of your car) and glass beads to trade with the mole people. They also take Visa, MasterCard and Amex.
*"Noonish" because the exact time we leave the mine is at the discretion of the mine representative, K.T. That is why the period from 11:30 am to 12:30 pm is known as the "KT Boundary".